Are you ready for JobKeeper?
Think you are eligible for JobKeeper but not sure what to do next? We can assist you to ensure your business and employees meet the eligbility requirements as well as working through the paperwork and reporting. However, if you would like to work through the process yourself, here are some practical steps to consider:
- If you have not done so already, register your interest and subscribe for JobKeeper payment updates here: https://www.ato.gov.au/Job-keeper-payment
- Check your eligibility for Jobkeeper in terms of the Turnover Test. https://www.ato.gov.au/general/jobkeeper-payment/employers/eligible-employers/
- Check if you and your nominated employees meet the eligibility requirements: https://www.ato.gov.au/General/JobKeeper-Payment/Employees/Eligible-employees
- Notify eligible employees in writing that you intend to participate in the JobKeeper scheme and confirm with eligible employees in writing that they agree to you being the primary employer to receive JobKeeper Payments. You will need to send the nominated employees the JobKeeper Employee Nomination Notice to complete and return to you: https://www.ato.gov.au/assets/0/104/300/387/d1aab7f2-fbe8-44b8-9ec1-4885ded1088e.pdf
- Pay the minimum $1,500 to each eligible employee per JobKeeper fortnight. The first fortnight starts on 30 March and ends on 12 April. Alternatively, you can make one combined payment of $3,000 for the first two fortnights paid by the end of April 2020. Be careful to note that the JobKeeper fortnights work on a specific timetable and may not be consistent with your payrun cycle.
- From 20 April 2020, you can enrol with the ATO using the Business Portal and authenticate with myGovID (this is a separate system to myGov): https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Online-services/Accessing-online-services-with-myGovID-and-RAM
- You must do this by the end of April to claim JobKeeper payments for April. If you do not have a myGovID you will need to set one up.
- Specify the estimated number of employees who will be eligible for the first JobKeeper fortnight (30 March – 12 April) and the second JobKeeper fortnight (13 April – 26 April).
- From 04 May 2020, submit the confirmation of your eligible employees online and wait for the confirmation screen.
- Notify your eligible employees you have nominated them.
- Each month, you will need to reconfirm that your reported eligible employees have not changed through ATO online services, the Business Portal. It is expected this reporting will be due 7 days after month end (i.e. you will need to keep your books up to date!). This will ensure you will continue to receive the JobKeeper payments. You do not need to retest your reported fall in turnover, but you will need to provide some information as to your current and projected turnover. This will be done in a monthly JobKeeper Declaration report.
- If your eligible employees change or leave your employment, you will need to notify the ATO through your monthly JobKeeper Declaration report.